Janet M. Thayer, Esq.
Janet is an experienced attorney practicing in the areas of trusts and estates, elder law, commercial and residential real estate, and business law. Janet received a Bachelor of Arts degree in History, magna cum laude from Wheaton College, in Norton, Massachusetts in 1985. She received a law degree from Albany Law School of Union University, Albany, New York in 1988. Prior to joining Vella, Carbone & Associates, LLP as Of Counsel, she practiced as a sole practitioner, an in-house counsel for a private not for profit institution, an in-house counsel for a state agency, and an associate with a small Albany firm.
Janet works with individuals to meet their estate planning needs as well as settling trusts and estates. Janet has handled a number of guardianship cases, including acting as Court Evaluator, assigned counsel for the alleged incapacitated person, Guardian ad litem, and petitioner’s counsel. Janet also represents both sellers and purchasers in commercial and residential real estate transactions. Janet has taught as an adjunct lecturer at two local colleges, and she lectures at continuing legal education seminars and other public forums.
- Albany Law School Union University, Albany, New York
- J.D. – 1988
- Wheaton College, Norton, Massachusetts
- Bachelor of Arts – 1985
- New York, 1988
- Massachusetts, 1988
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 1989
- New York State Bar Association
- Albany County Bar Association
- Capital District Women’s Bar Association
Current Employment Position
- Of Counsel
- Estate Planning
- Estate Administration
- Real Estate
- Business Development
- University at Albany President’s Award for Excellence in Professional Service, 2016
- SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Professional Service, 2017